Clothing exchanges are a great thing to do with your friends when you have good pieces you don't like or can't wear any more. But, they can also be very frustrating.
I have been to a few where some people bring beautiful pieces and others bring old ratty ones. When everything is just thrown in a pile on the floor.....the outcome can be quite unfair.
Of course my professional organizer mind takes over and begs me to
Here's the plan I came up with for an organized clothing exchange:
- Ask everyone to bring only good quality used pieces. Nothing with stains, frays or tears.
- Organize the items by category so people will easily find what they might be looking for.
- Have 3 rounds timed how ever long you like. Leave enough time for people to look around and try things on. Whatever they don't choose goes back in the piles.
- In the first round, people can choose the same amount of items that they brought with them to exchange. In the second round, decide how many more pieces everyone is allowed to choose.
- Before the final round, people can decide whether they want to give away what is left over or take it back.
It may sound complicated but it's not! It is organized and fair!
Give it a try and let me know how it goes. My friends have all thanked me for it!